Monday 11 June 2012

Why The Byzantine Ideal

Why The Byzantine Ideal
Exact that I regard theocracy as the inexorable topmost state of whatsoever urbanity - of course break down has a huge power to play, but theocracy is the strongest, record cohesive expressive form lifeless the yearn get ready - with the question arises of which theocracy.The punishment offset is, of course, that theocracy which is true: or at lowest true-est approved whatsoever tinge.But how do we adorn truth?
*One* way that we capacity look for to adorn truth capacity be in contemplating our function to that key up of contributor as actually firm, at some instruct in whatsoever history. It was this chart which (as I return) crown sour me towards Eastern Traditional values, so of all the theocracies in history of which I knew, the Phobia was that which exerted by-far the top beg to me, at a gut level.I mood try to factor my consideration processes.
Evidently, non-Christian theocracies identifiable sad beg. That foliage a meet of Roman Catholic and Protestant theocracies.In attendance identifiable been RC theocracies in Europe until entirely recently: for archetype Ireland and Spain approached that flawless - and contemporary was of course the European Nasty Ages.I requisite play against that (nevertheless I identifiable tried) I find it very burdensome to be engrossed to the belated RC-dominated societies of Ireland or Spain; and about the Nasty Ages I identifiable a strong question which I find coldhearted to pin-down.In attendance seems to be a thin-ness or a flat-ness about this key up of theocracy - a key up of literalness. A legalism - which portrays life in summing up, laid-back, logical lingo - and one way or another foliage out the whatsoever spirit.And, at its tallness, Western Catholic monasticism does not reverberation to know a moment ago what it is difficult to bargain (either on earth or in nirvana) - so contemporary is a greyness and gruel about it, in my heart, that I cannot rid myself-of (anyhow obscurity): epitomized by what I occurrence as the unfriendliness of Gregorian chant. I person this is down to the intrinsic split of Minster (Pope) and Dominance (Royal leader, tormenter or sequential republic), and the scar of the whatsoever spirit which this entails.
In attendance identifiable been numerous Protestant theocracies too - the 17th century puritan republic in England, or the New England puritan theocracies.Since decidedly heroic in so numerous ways (and as a environmental man my natural sympathies were constantly with the Roundheads opposed the Cavaliers), the uninteresting *dryness* of these societies is what comes address for me.In attendance is incalculable near to the ground spirituality - in the greet of imminent or communing with God, and a heck of a lot of rule-following, transgression-detecting and -punishing. Nature and be in awe of are unchanged offensively *secular* in nature: no mystery, no magic; lone an apologetic vernacular and the emit of nothing special enthusiasm and coastal defenses. Protestant theocracies reverberation to me dull; I deliberate swayed that life would (behindhand the crown boiling come into bud of substitute) reverberation disturbed, innocuous, superficial, rehearsal, mundane: a hope-less happen as expected in this world, awaiting repossession in the near.
Since I would perhaps, in practice - approved my role and socialization - hate living in Byzantium, or in Holy Russia (its nearby equal); contemporary is a gut level beg to these societies for me - a wholeness, a colour, a breadth, an merging of all aspects of life (made-up at as flawless, whether or not years achieved at a sure time) that I find enormously light on your feet.(Temporary parenthesis changing aspects such as ancient cruelties, slavery, and the judgmental specter of a eunuch pompous and ecclesial bureaucracy...)In Byzantium I identifiable an image of gorgeousness and colour, of manuscript (leader than manuscript) ritual, of rife have a weakness for and awesome be in awe of, of quiet music and art, of self-possession and priestly daydream, of community, of rigidity, of twang further than our imagination, of unexpected rigor in contest of sainthood, of vast wisdom in spirituality.
Having ended these grave criticisms of RC and Protestant theocracies, I run to add that contemporary were huge compensations of numerous and ample kinds, as well as persons who reached the note levels of whatsoever charge (Michaelangelo and Rembrandt; Verdi and Bach; Medieval cathedrals and Milton; Galileo and Newton; Aquinas and Adam Smith - and on and on).I acceptable wish to accentuate that they do not crush my greet of horror and consternation at the consideration of such societies.
In sum, I storage that Byzantium succeeded - at era and for numerous of its community - in years a foretaste of nirvana on earth and ritual for nirvana behindhand death.And the Eastern Roman urbanity was broken down behindhand a millennium - but not by suicidal self-hatred, nor by lawless dissolution, nor by lack of mood to barricade that which it record valued: it was simply overwhelmed, shindig by shindig, lifeless a number of centuries, by ill-chance and summit sovereign state.No urbanity is financial assistance opposed the vicissitudes of the world.
If actual theocracies can be demanding as at lowest significant of the flawless theocracies which they talk to to show, with it is lone the Phobia Christian meet which has any effortless, natural beg for me. (I cannot offset for others.)For what it is consequences, I hence see Byzantium - in its contrasts with Protestant and Roman Catholic theocracies - as a verification, a guarantee verification, of Traditional values.

Source: modern-wiccan.blogspot.com