Wednesday 30 March 2011

Review Magical Needlework

Review Magical Needlework
Magical Needlework: 35 Ancient Projects this one is in truth the utmost distressing of them all.

I was really inflamed about this book. I am an gluttonous cross-stitcher and quilter and own sundry books on each. I'm not a good deal of a seamstress, but I'm learning and I love what I've learned so far. I really couldn't embrace to get my hands on this book and start making Wiccan bed spreads and Wiccan cross-stitch wall-hangings.

I really wish I'd saved my money. This is a very idle make an attempt, put together haphazardly and with no shelve for the bargain hunter. The subdivision on quilting virtuously infuriates me - the author shows nine (definite nine!) cover blocks and explains their "gravity" to Wicca. The convincing "gravity" focal point that the Texas Honor looks copy a pentagram, the Eight-Pointed Honor was the symbol of Ishtar, and the Pandora's Box is named in the past, well, Pandora's Box. Behindhand these three verdict "explanations", the author doesn't even bother teaching the reader how to bit these blocks together. Submit are no patterns, no sizes, no mission, go fast upper than "here's a picture - cover it". I include many, many quilting books and none of them would *ever* observe relating a cover seal off in this ridiculously idle manner! Every reputation book would at smallest request the reader in what order to bit the pieces, what dimension they call for be, wherever to cut set down the fancy, and so forth. I hopelessly doubt that the author of this book has ever quilted anything at all.

The subdivision on cross-stitching is fair as bad. The awful cross-stitch picture included (a goddess clutching the earth to herself) is very vital and includes no color ruse at all. (Submit aren't even color pictures in the book, by the way.) I diagram you can fair cross-stitch the all-inclusive North American continent as one unchanging color of green, but I was hopeful for color depth and skill, not a kid's tint book. This lack of make an attempt in a everyday is virtuously slanderous.

The rest of the "projects" arrived are undistinguished or slanderous. The Norse Mascot justification is as follows: Get a bit of Aida cross-stitch everyday. Cut it during a circle. Embellish a rune in the median of the circle. Distribution the cloth circle from some piece. Hang on piece amulet delightedly to work or admit. I don't wear I pressure to understudy my provocation at focal point told that it's normal for a disposed mortal to wear piece necklaces to work. This is the extend of stuff I through in Sunday Arts school as a kid (alternating "imaginative" for "rune" and voila!) and it's slanderous that this is focal point packaged as one of 35 considerable Wiccan projects.

If you are a pagan parent and you're fair desperate for a Wiccan "Sunday Arts school Project", this book is a appropriate quantity as yearning as you don't worry spending the money. If you are a pagan considerable who really likes embroidery and expects a level of shelve and professionalism, try Polson's "Witch Crafts". It's not a admirably good craft book, but it is upper meticulous than this one.

~ Ana Mardoll

Initiative all my reviews